Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 94

Here's an interesting question that my hubby posed to me the other day:  "Babe, would you rather look fit or be fit?" 

Great question isn't it, and one that has been tickling my brain and heart ever since.  Here was my knee-jerk response, though:  "I would much rather BE fit than just look fit!" 

Now, for those of you who know me well, that has not EVER been the case with how I feel about being in shape.  In my youth, I was very active in sports, not to be fit but to have fun.  In college, I focused on my studies, was very busy with social commitments, had a part-time job and managed to stay stressed-out most of the time, all of which contributed to weight loss (and acne) and the appearance of fitness.  I honestly don't think that I worked-out a single day in college.

After college, I jumped right into teaching high school, enrolled in graduate school and eventually met Mr. Right (yes, that's you Honey!)  Who has time to workout with all that going on!  Finally, right before we got married, my soon-to-be hubby and I joined a gym and focused on LOOKING our best for the wedding.  Now, I can't really speak for him; he might have truly wanted to be in shape, but I can definitely say that I did it so I could look good in my VERY sleek wedding gown.

Fast forward to December 1, 2009.  My last baby was a little over a year old, and I had stopped breast feeding.  Now, it was time to get serious about getting into shape again, especially in the saggy baby-belly region!  So, I took on P90X for the second time (the first time was in 2007, and the results were great - so great that little Wesley came along 9 months later ;-)  Here's the deal though; both times I took on the P90X challenge, I was completely focused on how I would look when the program was finished.  Fitness was just a by-product!

This time, it's different.  My focus is fitness; my focus is joy; my focus is sustainable exercise; my focus is taking care of the temple that God made.  Guess what happens when you focus on the right thing . . . the rest will follow!

Keep your eyes on the prize!
;-) Missi

No comments: