Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 10

I really love the spring, and I'm sure that I am not alone!  Who doesn't love marveling at the daffodils, tulips, Redbuds, Bradford Pears, forsythia, quince and hyacinth as they dot the landscape with color!  Spring also means garage sales, Easter, neighbors coming out of hybernation and daylight savings! 

Here's the kicker, though - I haven't always felt this way, especially about the early spring in Oklahoma.  Sure, I noticed the color, but I didn't really stop to enjoy it because I was too busy holding a grudge.  It was a small grudge, but a grudge just the same.  So here it is; my petty grudge against the spring was that it always seemed to pull the old "bait and switch" on me! 

Let me set the scene:  Every morning, when I was a teenager, a quick call to "time and temperature" (yes, back in the day, we had to call this special number from our "wall" phone to see what the weather was like) would reveal that the temperature was 65 degrees, so clad in my cute new short-sleeved shirt, I would hustle out the door, only to be met with a windchill that made it feel more like 35 degrees!!  Frustrated and cold, I would cry out, "Be one or the other, please, so I know what to wear - yeesh!" 

Well, I have carried this springtime angst with me for far too long, and I am happy to report that I have changed!  You'll be glad to know that I am no longer throwing a tantrum about spring. 

Instead, I have discovered that I am now grateful for the undercurrent of cold air that comes with spring, especially while I am running.  At the start of the run, it tickles my lungs with its brisk fingers, and later, when I am covered with perspiration, it cools me down.  Thank you, God, for changing my heart and helping me appreciate the duality of spring! 

Happy spring,
Missi

No comments: