Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 22

Hey, I want to tell you a secret.  Lean in a little closer.  A little closer than that.  Yeah, that's good!  Are you ready for it?  Here goes:  "Kids love to help!" 

It's true!  They love to pitch in, to be counted on, to feel responsible and like the task could only be completed because they helped!  It's a precious, natural resource that needs to be tapped, yet, for some reason, we grown-ups, all too often, try to squelch it.  We don't mean to, but we do! 

Here's an example of how we often squelch their helpfulness!  My beautiful children are still young, so they offer to help all of the time - making cookies, washing windows, putting away their laundry, raking leaves, watering the garden, cleaning up the garage, dressing themselves (this mainly pertains to my two-year-old), mowing the lawn (see picture insert), you name it!  Sounds like a recipe for success, and many times it is, but other times, I brush off their offerings because I am in a hurry; it's easier to do it myself; it's above their skill level, etc.

I know I'm not the only one who does this or else we wouldn't have a bunch of preteens, teens and grownups who don't offer their help anymore.  Somewhere down the line, someone either said or implied that no help was needed, so, now, the once-happy helpers have to be bribed to pitch in!

Well, I for one, am going to make a concerted effort to fortify the "happy helper" bone in my children because it's beneficial to everyone.  Heck, it never gets old feeling needed, included and responsible.

Food for thought,
Missi

No comments: