Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 31

I am writing this in response to something that my darling 4-year-old just asked:  "Mommy, will you play house with me, and will you be the Daddy?

Here was my knee-jerk response:  "Sweetie, I would love to help you get things setup, get your dolls out and stuff, but I'm not very good at playing pretend.  I'm sure your little brother would love to be the daddy.

When it came out of my mouth, I know that it didn't sound mean, and it didn't seem to bother my daughter a bit, but as I sit here and type this, I find that it bothers me.
Mmmmm!  Waffles AND cabbage!  Wow!
Why can't I play pretend?  Or, rather, why don't I want to?   I guess it's because I don't think I know how.  There aren't instructions.  I have to make up my own dialogue, create scenarios and characters, "eat" plastic food, etc.  That just doesn't seem fun to ME, but it does to THEM, and aren't THEY what it's all about! 

Now, don't get me wrong.  I love to play.  The kids can always talk me into Candy Land,  Sorry, Trouble, Lady Bug, Guess Who?, cards or "School" (which, by the way, is what I call "guided pretend," and that doesn't count!).

And, I'm always looking for an excuse to go to the park or play outside, but is that enough?  Well, I'll never know unless I try. 

Starting today, I will try to follow the advise of my sweet, enthusiastic and playful friend, Carey Sue, and "Enter the spirit of the party!" in regards to playing pretend, whether it sounds fun to me or not!

And it looks like I'm going to get my chance.  I've been invited to be the Dragon that guards the castle!

I'll let you know how it goes!
Missi

No comments: